Thursday, September 01, 2005

The law of the few

If you have read "The Tipping Point" by Malcom Gladwell, you would have guessed what I am going to talk about now. I finished reading the book last week and was thoroughly impressed with the ideas contained therein.

Since then, I've been thinking about how profound the implications are for interactive marketing. If only there were a way to quantify the tipping point.

Let me document some of my ramblings here and maybe all the intelligent souls who get their eyeballs to this blog can help me build up the idea.

The "Law of the Few" says that there are a few people in this world, that are gifted to make certain ideas tip. You just gotta find those guys, make your offering interesting enough for them and watch it float effortlessly millions across the globe. How do you think "Harry Potter" became such a fad or for that matter the "Carlton Draught Beer Ad" became such a rage across the internet community ? Well, I certainly believe that both of these caught fancy of a few people and those people started a chain making these tip in a short span of time. The question really is - can we find a way to consistently build advertisements ( or for that matter products ) that are designed to tip and make marketing an effortless job ?

My product manager asked me the same question a couple of days back and so far, I haven't found a way to make ideas tip. The day I find a way to do that, I'll be sailing in the crisp-green sea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pranav, I have been reading the book too. Some of the concepts, the author kind of slowly slips past you, are mind boggling....
Btw, let us all know, when you find the tipping point to advertising sales.... :-)